The closer one adheres to the following anusthan recommendations, the more powerful the results of the anusthan. However, it is recognized that most of us are not able to be strict with all the conditions, especially #9, which suggests that we do not leave the location of the anusthan for its duration. Shri Anandi Ma and Dileepji are aware of this and encourage us to perform the anusthan and to follow the guidelines to the maximum extent possible and practical in our lives without causing disturbance. There is still much benefit to be gained from the performance of anusthan, regardless of our ability to follow the rules precisely, so one is encouraged to practice even a small anusthan, offering the fruits of your spiritual progress to God.
1. Begin anusthan at Brahma-muhurta — the ideal time for spiritual practice, between 4 and 6 A.M.
2. Take a shower and wear clean clothes before beginning. If possible, keep a separate outfit of clothing for anusthan only. If you have a bowel movement, it is recommended to shower again afterwards. If you urinate, wash your hands and feet completely and repeat the purification mantras (Vajra Panjar graduates only) again.
3. Keep your asan and surroundings pure. Fire is required to be present as a witness to the anusthan. Guruji recommends burning a ghee lamp continuously during anusthan. The ghee lamp makes the atmosphere pure and sattvic and helps the energy. Ghee is made from clarified butter (heat butter and take the clear portion only); a wick may be made from a portion of a cotton ball and set in a small bowl. An oil lamp or candle may be substituted. Burning incense also helps to purify the atmosphere. Wash puja vessels (Vajra Panjar graduates only) every day and do not drink from them.
4. Do not get up from the asan until you have finished the repetition. If you need to get up for calls of nature, you can do so, but begin with the necessary purification as mentioned in #2 above.
5. Do not talk. Observe silence as much as possible throughout the days of the anusthan. This greatly increases your energy.
6. Eat as lightly as possible. Eating only sattvic foods such as fruit, nuts, and dairy is ideal. The next best is eating only one meal a day, with fruit and nuts in the evening. Avoid tamasic foods such as alcohol, meat, eggs, onion, and garlic. These latter foods work against the success of the anusthan.
7. Maintain celibacy. Celibacy is further recommended beyond the completion of the anusthan for a period of three times the length of the anusthan. Remember, this is only a recommendation.
8. Keep the mind engrossed in spiritual thoughts. Use any spare time during the days of anusthan reading scriptures or books on saints, etc. The idea is to keep the mind totally engrossed in pure, sattvic thoughts. Do not read or expose yourself to materials that might negatively turn the mind.
9. Do not go for a walk. The mind becomes active with walking. Exercise at home with hatha yoga asana, etc. It is recommended that you not leave the area of the anusthan. This is a strict rule and not all may be able to follow it. Although many people have to go out to work, avoid any unnecessary ventures during anusthan.
10. Do not get angry or curse anyone during anusthan. This can be dangerous. Remain calm. See the Lord in everyone, and spread love all around you.
11. When possible, make arrangements not to be disturbed during the anusthan.
12. Perform the anusthan with love, faith, and devotion. Do not worry about the results. Offer them to God and Guru.
13. Women who begin menstruating during anusthan should stop for four days and, after bathing and washing their hair, resume on the fifth day where they have left off. In any event, the anusthan should be completed by the full moon.
These are some of the basic rules for general anusthan. Anusthans of specific practices may have more specific rules. The degree of success and evolution will depend on your faith, concentration and attention to these rules as much as possible.